Friday, March 2, 2012

3-2-2012.01

Epic fail at keeping up with a blog, again. Of course on December 3 when I started this I had no idea that in 10 days I would barely recognize my life for awhile. Drama aside, on Dec. 12 I noticed something weird going on with my left eye. I went to my regular vision doctor on the morning of Dec. 13 and by that afternoon I was on an operating table having my retina reattached. It was a difficult case involving both a scleral buckle and gas bubble. That was bad enough but I had to have two follow-up repairs, one in December and another one in January. I was off work for weeks and finally had one brief spurt of improvement which allowed me to return to work on Feb. 3. After a persistent lack of improvement thereafter, my doctor advised a fourth surgery called a vitrectomy. Long story short, this involved drilling three 25-gauge holes into my eye, implanting another gas bubble, and for good measure another round of laser surgery around the buckle. I had to lie constantly on my right side with only a 10-minute break every two hours for 7 days. I had an appointment yesterday, and my doctor said everything looks as expected at this point. I still can't lift or lie flat on my back, but I can be up and about and sleep in any other position. I'm on numerous different eye drops throughout the day. I've been weaning off pain pills which means I have to tolerate some level of discomfort. I am functionally sightless in my left eye for up to 12 weeks, perceiving only colors and movement. My doctor and I had a discussion about returning to work, what I really think I am capable of doing under the circumstances. I think I am going to give it a try - going for at least a reduced schedule at first. Naturally, being a newly (albeit temporarily) blinded person, I have some practical concerns such as being able to get ready on time etc. Not that my employer would mind a late arrival, but I would be riding in with my hub as he goes to work because obviously I am not driving myself. Still, I think I want to try. I may not be up to my normal pace, but I think I can still be useful and relieve my co-workers of some of the burden. Besides, today if I squint hard from the lower part of my eye, I can almost make out the general shape of my hands on the keyboard with my left eye and that gives me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment